When edible seeds or beans, such as kidney beans, lentils, mung beans, soybeans, etc., are allowed to moisten and germinate further, they become sprouts. One prime reason why sprouts are considered so healthy is that upon sprouting, the nutrient value of a seed increases multiple times, thereby making it a very healthy option as part of any meal. Once a seed is left to sprout, using only water and oxygen, it undergoes the following important processes:
- the complex fats are broken down
- starch is converted into simple sugars
- proteins are broken down into amino acids
- minerals are transferred to different parts of the seed
- new nutrients are created in the process of sprouting and breakdown
As we delve into the depths of the nutritional value of sprouts, you will become aware, as to why it is so important to incorporate them in your daily diet.